This procedure explains how to establish or change an employee on the HRMS/Payroll Employee Database.
A Personal Services Form (PSF) is used for all Payroll/Personnel transactions at Georgia Tech. As an input document, the PSF is used to record and/or change information on the Institute's database pertaining to an individual's employment status.
When a new employee is hired, the department completes a PSF and forwards it to the Human Resources Department. The employee must report to Human Resources and complete the appropriate employment papers. Human Resources establishes the employee records. The following information is included, but is not limited to:
- Personal Services Form
- Personal Data Sheet
- GT ID
- Federal and State Withholding Tax Forms
Change of Status
If a change occurs to an employee's status, his or her department uses the most recent turnaround document to record the changed information. The PSF is forwarded to Human Resources and Payroll for processing. Actions requiring a "change of status" PSF are the following:
- Pay Type Change
- On Leave With Pay
- On Leave Without Pay
- Return From Leave
- Salary Increase/Decrease
- Job Reclassification
- Data Name Change
A copy of the Personal Services Form is available as a reference for the following instructions. This sample form has numbers written on it which correspond to the numbers in the instructions below.
Section 1 - Employee Information
- Name - last, first, middle initial
- GT ID
- Home Department Name - department receiving check from Payroll
- Home Department Number - five digit number
- Date Prepared - date form leaves originating department
Section 2 - Employment/Payroll Information
- Employment - ( ) indicates new hire into Georgia Tech or former employee who terminated two or more years ago (not on current database)
- Reemployment - ( ) indicates reemployment of someone who terminated less than two years ago (still in current database); or an employee currently at Georgia Tech whose appointment date has expired
- Change of Status - ( ) indicates change in current employee's status
- Effective Date - date on which employment or status change is effective
- Total % Time - total percent time worked from ALL appointments
- Full-Time Salary - 100% of salary employee would receive if employed for entire academic or fiscal year
- LOA With Pay - ( ) indicates employee is going on leave or absence with pay
- LOA Without Pay - ( ) indicates employee is going on leave of absence without pay
- LOA Return Date - date on which employee is EXPECTED to return from leave of absence
- Temporary - ( ) indicates employee is temporary
- Permanent - ( ) indicates employee is permanent
- Hourly - ( ) indicates employee is to be paid bi-weekly
- Fiscal - ( ) indicates employee is to be paid monthly on end-of-month payroll
- Academic - ( ) indicates employee is to be paid monthly on mid-month payroll
- Position Title - employee's primary job title
- Other - provide any other information appropriate to clearly define the employee's employment / payroll status (i.e., reason for leave of absence)
Section 3 - Appointment Information
- Home Department Project Number - expense account number to which employee's salary is to be charged
- Budget Position - Budget Position Number in which the employee's salary disbursements are to be recorded
- Rate / Pay - Actual hourly or monthly pay rate at which employee is to be paid from Home/Work Department appointment. Do not adjust for % time worked
- % Time - actual percent of time the employee is working in Home/Work Department appointment
- Appt. End Date - date on which employee's Home/Work Department appointment is to end
- Work Department Name - name of department in which employee has secondary appointment
- Dept. No. - number of Work Department in which employee has appointment
- Position Title - job title of employee's secondary Work Department appointment
- Work Department Project No. - expense account to which employee's Work Department salary is to be charged
- Bud Pos - Budget Position Number in which employee's secondary Work Department salary disbursements are to be recorded
- Rate / Pay - Actual hourly or monthly pay rate at which employee is to be paid from secondary Work Department
- % Time - actual % of time employee is working in secondary Work Department
- Appt End Date - date on which the employee's secondary Work Department appointment is to end
Section 4 - Termination
- Termination - ( ) indicates an employee is being terminated
- Effective Date - day after the last work day
- Vacation Hours Accrued - total number of vacation hours employee is to be paid in final paycheck. Monthly paid employees will automatically be paid for accrued vacation time based on full-time salary. REMEMBER, a terminating bi-weekly staff employee's vacation hours must be reported on the Time Document for the period during which the Termination Date falls. (Accrued vacation hours balance must be recorded on terminating PSF).
- Reason for Termination - reason employee is terminating / being terminated
Section 5 - Comments
- Use this section to record any information believed appropriate to reflect the employee's work relationship with Georgia Tech, or to clarify changes indicated in the above sections.
Section 6 - Approvals As Required
- Approval blocks are provided for two School or Department signatures, Dean or Administrative Officer signature, two Vice President signatures, and President signature.
- All Personal Services Forms must be submitted for approval as required by the organization to which a campus unit ordinarily reports.
Section 7 - Business Office Use Only
- This section is used by various Business Office departments to record necessary system codes and approvals.