The purpose of this statement is to establish the schedules for the monthly and bi-weekly payroll cycles to be used by all areas served by the Payroll Office.
- On-cycle Payroll processes: The regularly scheduled biweekly or monthly payroll dates. On-cycle payments result in direct deposit.
- Off-cycle Payroll processes: Any payments made outside of the regularly scheduled on-cycle payroll process. Off-cycle payments result in manual checks.
- The Payroll Office is responsible for ensuring that all University employees are paid in a timely manner. To facilitate this, a time schedule for the various payrolls has been developed for the fiscal year and is included online. http://ohr.gatech.edu/payroll/paycheck
- It is the responsibility of each college, department, and/or office to establish procedures and controls that will ensure compliance with established time frames.
- Personal Services Forms and Time Documents submitted after the Payroll deadlines will require special handling.
- Off cycle checks will be handled as follows:
An off-cycle payroll check is a manual payment disbursed to an employee earlier than the established pay cycle. Off-cycle disbursements are an exception to regular payroll processing and should never be substituted for the timely processing of employee pay.
Off-cycle checks should only be requested when a true financial hardship exists making it necessary for the employee to receive a check before the next on-cycle payroll. Departments may request off-cycle checks by submitting a payroll request to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please note this is not advance pay. The Institute does not advance pay to employees under any circumstances.) Employees should be informed that adjustments and additional pay will be included on their next regularly scheduled on-cycle payroll associated with their pay frequency. If the check is not picked up timely, it will be mailed to the employee's address of record.
Frequency of Payment and Timing:
Off-cycle checks will be paid within 2 – 3 business days. Any payments made by paper check may be picked up at Human Resources (500 Tech Parkway) only by the employee or authorized individual for each department.
A request for off-cycle disbursements should meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Paycheck reversal due to employee overpayment
- Administrative error within GTHR payroll process.
- The employee has received less than 50% of their wages.
- The employee is owed 10 hours or more.
- The employee submitted their hours on time, but the time approver did not approve the hours on time.
- The employee has been involuntarily terminated.
Off-cycle disbursements should not be processed for the following reasons:
- Retroactive pay.
- The employee is owed less than 10 hours.
- Employee fails to enter and submit their time report on schedule.
- Supplemental pay — if the employee was paid for their regular wages.
- Failure to timely submit Vacation & Sick leave requests.
- Vacation pay out.
Any questions concerning these schedules should be directed to the Payroll Office, at (404) 894-4614.
The Institute’s Pay Calendar can be found under Pay Check Resources: http://ohr.gatech.edu/payroll/paycheck
Off-Cycle Payroll Processing policy (5.3.8) within the Business Procedures Manual for University System of Georgia institutions: http://www.usg.edu/business_procedures_manual/section5/C1235/#p5.3.8_off_cycle_payroll_processing